Friday, February 26, 2021

"Stop & Think Before You Post!"

 


Remember how we enjoyed Dave Obee's presentation on Canadian Genealogy a year or so back? When we could have in-person workshops!

Dave writes The Back Page, a regular feature in YourGenealgoyToday magazine. In the Jan/Feb 2021 issues he really spoke my mind:

"How do I say what I want to say without sounding cranky?"

"In the past few weeks, I and several of my friends have pulled out of genealogy groups on Facebook. We have all had the same reason: There is too much bad information out there and the bad is drowning out the good."

"Here's what happens. Somebody will ask a question, hoping that someone will be able to solve a mystery. Within minutes, one or two or a dozen well-meaning souls will chime in giving answers that range from silly to ludicrous.

Dave's sweet rant continues: 

"I understand that many of us are eager about what we do and we want to share our excitement with others. I understand that no harm is intended when incorrect answers are given. But please, please, slow down and make sure the information you are giving is indeed information that the other person can use."

And how to do that, he asks? By keeping yourself informed to ensure you are giving correct answers and information or (I'm adding this) by keeping your fingers off the keyboard. 

Thanks, Dave. We needed that. 




No comments: