Agnes McDonald, in 1904, was considered to be the richest woman in Spokane. By the 1920’s she was zipping around Spokane in her vintage 1916 Rauch brougham (an automobile with an open driver's seat) vintage electric car at a top speed of 23 miles per hour. It was reported that this car cost her $3,500 in 1918. In 1945, she was an elderly, grey-haired woman, and during WWII soldiers stationed in Spokane, would shout, whistle, and cheer as she drove by. When she parked, photos were taken and car rides given in her ancient but well-maintained car. Agnes noted that she paid $2.50 a month for electricity, and $500 every five years for a new battery. Agnes finally gave the car to the Cheney Cowles Museum because her slower driving car caused problems with the police—after WWII, speed limits had increased.
· She was involved in many large real estate transactions--one such sale was the Germond Block at the northeast corner of Sprague and Post sold in 1907 for $150,000.
· She was one of the founders of the Grace Campbell Museum.
· She provided a number of memorials to St John’s Cathedral to honor family members to include a beautiful window to memorialize her daughter, Ruth, who died in 1929.
· Agnes was a founder of Spokane Humane Society and served as president for many years.