Friday, February 21, 2020

Spotlight on EWGS Member: Sharlee Mikelson


EWGS is "blessed" to have Sharlee Ann Wilson/Mikelson as our Hospitality Chair. She is a "force of nature" as she and her committee keep our meetings happy with coffee and cookies.

Sharlee explained the origin of her name:  "When I was born here in Spokane at Sacred Heart Hospital, Grandfather Charles D. Wilson wanted me to be named after his favorite aunt whose name was Elenore Anastasia Gilbert/Wilson. My mom thought that was a big name to live up to and so did I as a child. Now it would have been nice because of my interest in genealogy. Elenore served during WWII where she was part of the Signal Corp and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery. My mom got creative and named me Sharlee after four generations of Charles and my middle name after my grandmother Anna Wilson.

Her main ancestral lines extend into England and then to the Northwest by way of Australia! "The Gilberts, who changed their name to Wilson, were from England and went to Australia and then my great-great grandfather came to the Northwest." Sharlee says her most interesting find has been "learning more about my mom's biological parents; it's been fun for both of us."

Sharlee uses Ancestry the most, she explains. Her hobbies, when not doing genealogy, are going camping with our family and best friends of 48 years.Her favorite color is Navy blue; her favorite dessert is Pumpkin Pie. The one word she chose to describe herself: blessed.

EWGS is so lucky to have such a wonderful and dedicated member as Sharlee Ann Wilson Mikelson.


No comments: