I do apologize that I didn't think to note the date but this wonderful story was found in The Spokesman Review. It's hard to read, so here goes:
BRISTLY VISITOR RIDES LOG PILE
Johnny Porkypine Goes To Police Station but is Later Released
Gunting (sic) irritably and threatening everyone who approached, Spokane's strangest tourist arrived in the city this morning on a load of logs from the north woods.
Motorcycle Officer Victor Hudson and employees of the Milwaukee railroad discovered the visitor, an immense porcupine, hiding beneath a load of logs on the railroad tracks near Sprague and Greene. The porcupine was rounded up and coaxed into a sack. He was taken to the police station.
"I didn't lose him," declared Captain R. W. Hinton. "Call up the park board."
After some discuss, the animal was taken to the Manito zoo, where he was refused admission on the grounds that he would pine away and die. Unable to find a home for the porcupine, he was carted to the timbered flats of Hangman Creek and released."
No comments:
Post a Comment