Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia, & The Lighthouse

 

In April 2023, I was blessed to take a deep dive into the history, geography, geology and culture of the far northeast corner of America,  the Canadian Maritimes and the St. Lawrence River and Seaway. Con su permisio, as they say in Spanish, I would like to share with you some of what I learned in these blog posts over the next couple of months. Hope you benefit and enjoy!


A short bus ride from Halifax, Nova Scotia, is the little fishing/lobstering village of Peggy's Cove.  Peggy's Cove was named by the French explorer Samuel de Champlain, who explored Nova Scotia in the early 1600's. He named the region, St. Marguerite's Bay, after his mother. Marguerite's Cove, was the name originally given to the cove. (Wikipedia)

The famous lighthouse, perched on a huge outcropping of granite rocks, was a delight to visit. I was fascinated as much by those rocks as the lighthouse itself. You'll see in the photo that there was a bagpiper there playing for us tourists. 

On the left top, is the watercolor painting that I purchased from a local artist. On the bottom right is our ship's painting activity lady's watercolor of that lighthouse and on the left is my pitiful attempt to duplicate it. 

Here's the funny postscript to the story. I had the business card of that artist fellow and called him to share the photo of the three lighthouses. He was thankful and polite, of course, but said that at that very moment there was a lady from Olympia standing in his shop! What a small world indeed. 

To further that "small world" realization, I had the best ice cream cone I've ever had from a shop there in Peggy's Cove and the young lady scooping the ice cream was from South Africa! 

No comments: