Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Summertime Has Finally Arrived!





SPOTLIGHT ON THE SPOKANE REGION

Hi Everybody!  I am Kris Krell, and I am preparing to entertain you with interesting stories about the Spokane Region through the EWGS Blog.



So stay tuned, and send your comments, kudos, or suggestions to me at krellkb1@gmail.com.

I am excited about this new Blogging opportunity, and I look forward to getting to know and work with all of my fellow EWGS members!


Summertime Has Finally Arrived!

I’m not much of a water person—no swimming for me!   The summer that I was 6, my mom signed me up for swimming lessons. I absolutely hated it, and I’m sure that I refused to return after that first lesson.  I don’t recall ever going again!

My friend and her husband own a sailboat. It’s been a few years since my husband and I have had time to sail with them.  When we did sail, I enjoyed the swift, smooth glide across the water, the warm breeze blowing, the relaxing mood, and the visiting and, of course, eating. 

Now that the hot, summer heat has arrived, what better place to go for swimming, for sailing, and for beautiful views than Coeur d’Alene Lake in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho!

Coeur d’ Alene Lake has been a popular summer destination for many years because of the great beaches and gorgeous views, among other attractions.   Another popular, seasonal attraction are the bald eagles that feed on the kokanee.  The North Idaho Centennial Trail popular with bicyclists, joggers, and walkers runs along the lake’s north and northeastern shore, and The Trail of the Coeur d’Alenes also follows the southern shores also popular for biking, running and walking.  From 1958-1966, and 1968, hydroplane races for the Diamond Cup were held at the lake.

The first recorded European to see the area was explorer David Thompson in 1807.  When the Post Falls Dam was constructed and dam operation began in 1906, flooding changed the shape and size of the lake expanding it to combine several smaller lakes into one.

The Panhandle of Idaho is the home of Coeur d’Alene Lake.  The lake is 220 feet deep, clear at 8 feet which makes the lake No. 3 on a list of the top 10 clearest lakes in the U.S.!   The lake is 25 miles long, 10 miles wide at the widest point, has shoreline equaling 109 miles, and boaters can travel 50 miles from northern edge to southern tip.

If you haven’t already, be sure to take a boat ride on Coeur d’Alene Lake to Harrison, Idaho.  You’ll have an enjoyable day!

I’ll leave you with these words: 

Coeur d’Alene is calling out and it won’t be long, Coeur d’Alene I’m coming now where I still belong.  

These are some of the lyrics from the song  “Coeur d’Alene” by the rock bank Alter Bridge from their third album ABIII—their song about Coeur d’Alene Lake!


Sources:  Donna Potter Phillips, Wikipedia, blt the blog for lifestyle & travel, ITunes




1 comment:

Donna said...

Great post, Kris! Postscript for too many of us: The water is calling and I must go.