Wednesday, June 13, 2018

It All Began Here--Father's Day!




SPOTLIGHT ON THE SPOKANE REGION


Hi Everybody!  I am Kris Krell, and I am preparing to entertain you with interesting stories about the Spokane Region through the Eastern Washington Genealogical Society Blog.

I've lived in Spokane since the summer of 1969--49 years!!

While I've only been researching my genealogy on line for seven months, my Mom's Sherk family was extensively researched, and a book was published for the family.  We always kept the book close at hand so when we talked about Sherk family history, the book came out.  It's been reviewed time and time again!  I am researching my Mom's maternal family--Anderson from Norway; my grandfather Sherk's maternal family--Dye; my dad's maternal family Bronson; and my dad's paternal family--Smith.

My goal is to do a weekly post (at a minimum), so please stay tuned and send me any comments, kudos, or suggestions at krellkb1@gmail.com.

I am excited about this new Blogging opportunity, and I look forward to getting to know and work with all of my fellow EWGS members!


It All Began Here--Father's Day!           
Most Spokane residents already know that Father's Day was created in Spokane, and the first Father's Day was celebrated in Spokane on June 19, 1910.

But did you know that it wasn't until 1972 that President Richard Nixon signed the public law that made Father's Day a recognized holiday.  Congress was quick to recognize Mother's Day in 1914 as the second Sunday in May.

Sonora Smart Dodd wanted to honor fathers--especially her own father, a Civil War veteran, who raised a newborn baby and five other children on his own when Sonora's mother died during childbirth--in the same way that mother's were recognized.  Sonora dedicated a red rose as the Father's Day flower.

In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge gave his support to Father's Day to build closer relationships between fathers and their children.  In 1938, a trade organization, The National Council for the Promotion of Father's Day, formed by New York City men's clothing retailers, took up the Father's Day celebration.   In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson gave the first presidential proclamation honoring fathers.

Please email me at krellkb1@gmail.com with your comments or ideas!

Source: Wikipedia, Timelines of History

1 comment:

Charles said...

Kris Welcome to the Blog.