Saturday, January 1, 2011

Missouri Volunteers Needed

A few of my followers know I have been helping index Washington State Records for many years from the Washington State Library, but today I received this request from a Missouri mail list I subscribe to. All of my mothers family were from Missouri before moving to Washington, so I hope they get a lot of volunteers. This is the same format the Washington State Library is using to digitize their records. Here is the message I got:

Hello All,

Were almost to the start of a new year, and you know what that means 1960
death certificates!!! Instead of transcribing the relevant information
from photocopies of the index, this year the Missouri State Archives is going
to try something a little different. Our IT department has set up an
application allowing volunteers to log in to a website to view actual death
certificate images. They will then be asked to transcribe the required
information from the images, directly into an online form found directly
below. This new process is set up as a double blind system, meaning each
certificate will be transcribed at least twice. If the first two
transcriptions match, the record will be approved. If not, the certificate
image will go to a third volunteer. If the third transcription does not
match either the first or second, it will automatically be sent to me for
review. Hopefully this new process will allow us to get an index online
faster and with greater accuracy than we have in the past.

If the above process sounds interesting and you would like to take part in
the project, send me a quick message and I'll add you to my list of
volunteers to contact once the website is live (likely sometime during the
second week of January). In the meantime, please feel free to contact me
with any questions or concerns.

Best Wishes,

Brian Rogers
Missouri State Archives
600 W. Main St.
Jefferson City, MO 65101
573.526.6711
archvol@sos.mo.gov

No comments: