Saturday, March 14, 2009

Museum Exhibit Celebrates Area's Farming Legacy

From the Spokesman-Review:
Irrigation gave life to Spokane Valley, and now the Spokane Valley Heritage Museum is giving new life to the area’s farming history with a special exhibit on irrigation.

If your family farmed the Spokane Valley, or your childhood memories involve visiting the Valley farms to harvest their delicious fruits and vegetables, or if you just love local history, you'll want to visit the Spokane Valley Heritage Museum's "Water is the Story" exhibit.

More details and photographs here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MY NAME IS MARK SHUMAKER AND I HAVE LIVED LOCALY IN THE SPOKANE AREA FOR 9yrs AND WHAT I DO MAY JUST PEAK YOUR INTREST I GATHERER NATIVE SEED'S BY HAND ALONG WITH MY WIFE AND CHILDREN WE SPEND MOST OF OUR SUMMERS IN A TENT BECAUSE MOST OF THE PLANT SEED IS IN THE WOODS WE START HARVISTING IN MAY AND END IN OCTOBER TO MID NOVEMBER ONCE DONE I SPEND THE WINTER CLEANING NOW HERE IS THE INTERERSTING PART I USE 100YR OLD CLIPPER HAND CRANKED FANNING MILLS THEY ARE MUSIUM QUALITY MACHINE'S I USE THEM TO CLEAN EVERYTHING FROM WILD FLOWER'S TO TREE SEED'S I DO ALL THIS IN A BACK BEDROOM I'M NOT LOOKING TO GET RICH JUST THE SATISFACTION OF NOWING WHAT I DO HELP'S. ALOT OF MY SEED 5YRS AGO OR SO WENT INTO A WETLAND OUT BY CHENEY TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA WHAT THEY DO WITH JUST SOME OF OUR SEED.OUR FAMILY HAS'NT FARMED FOR MANY YEARS BUT WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT MAY HAVE INTREST TO YOU OR YOUR READERS.THANK YOU