Friday, April 12, 2013

Maine Historical Society: An Example



This is the Maine Historical Society in Portland, Maine. Since 1822, Maine Historical Society has been collecting materials about Maine and tomorrow I'm going to spend some time at their tables.

BUT.

And the point of this message is this: Their catalog is online. Had I done what I teach I would have checked out their catalog....their holdings.... BEFORE I came and had my to-do list all ready to go. So part of my few hours will be spent doing what I could have done from home.

Sigh.

Some of my ancestors came to Maine before it was Maine.... when it was a colony or province of Massachusetts. I know that at research facilities like historical societies you must not always think in terms of surname reseach solely. I plan to ask for what they might have regarding the earliest settlers to the area.

Fingers crossed; wish me luck.  Donna

No comments: